Keeping kids entertained at 30,000 feet can be a difficult task but this summer Virgin Atlantic is flying to the rescue with the introduction of games, competitions and story books on board.
On selected flights during the summer months of July and August, cabin crew and pilots will run games and onboard drawing competitions to keep kids entertained on day flights and give out books on night flights for bed time stories.
“We have so many families travelling with us and we know how difficult it can be for parents trying to keep children entertained on what can be a long flight,” said cabin crew member Clare Fraser. “We always try to make the journey as easy and enjoyable as possible for our customers and this summer we’re looking forward to introducing games and activities to help give parents a little respite on board”.
Our cabin crew tips for families travelling with Virgin Atlantic
- Forward Food Thinking: Ensure your little ones receive a children’s meal onboard by ordering one online 48 hours in advance. The meals offer plain food designed to appeal to children. Examples include: Pasta Bolognese with dinosaur pasta, yoghurt tubes, Fruit Shoot juice, bags of fresh fruit and vegetables, mini Chedders, raisins, jam sandwiches.
- Goodies Galore: We provide kids packs for all children that are collected when you board. The waterproof bag contains a child-sized eye mask printed with either star-shaped sunglasses, Kanye West’s style shutter shades, goggles or snorkels, warm socks with a trainer or sandal design, a rainbow pen and a Lonely Planet Travel Journal.
- You’re not alone! – Speak to our crew once onboard as they can provide all parents travelling with children with a plastic bag – we know they generate a lot of rubbish. They can also provide you with emergency essentials in the event you run out, such as nappies, jars of baby food, plastic spoons and straws!
- Entertainment, Entertainment, Entertainment: On selected flights this summer, the crew will do all they can to help entertain both children and the big kids with games and competitions. We also have a superb selection of the latest child-friendly movies as well as their own dedicated TV channels.
- Surprise, Surprise: A top tip from our crew is to bring a couple of new toys/books onboard that can be wrapped and opened at pre-selected times. We’ll also be giving out The Great Hot Air Balloon Adventure written by Haywards Heath author Stephen D Holmes.
- Sky High Exercising: When it’s safe to do so, it’s fine for children to walk up and down the aircraft during the flight to stretch their little legs.
TOMY taking over Gatwick on Friday
There will be further kid fun for anyone flying out of Gatwick on Friday 29 July. TOMY are taking over Gatwick and will be entertaining our young customers with on-the-spot givaways and games. The main attraction will be their fabulous Aquadoodle travel range and onboard Pop-up Pirates!
Documenting the fun will be family vloggers Nick and Rebecca (below) from kidzcoolit.com who are off to Orlando with Frozen and Colour Doodle Bags. We look forward to seeing their report when they get back.
Rebecca, star of kidzcoolit.com with her TOMY Aquadoodle travel bag.