We’re delighted to announce the launch of three new ways to fly economy as part of a multi-million pound investment in the cabin for the 21st century traveller.
Recognising that one size doesn’t fit all we’ve introduced ‘Economy Delight’, ‘Economy Classic’ and ‘Economy Light’ tickets. The three new ways to fly allows customers to choose the product that suits their budget and travel style – but never compromise on food and drink, unrivalled service and inflight entertainment.
Economy Delight is the best economy product of any UK airline – customers enjoy a seat with 34 inch legroom, priority check in and boarding as well as advanced seat assignment. Economy Classic offers free seat assignment – providing extra reassurance for families and groups that they can sit together. The new Economy Light ticket always offers our lowest fare – making long haul travel affordable and accessible for everyone and is great for customers jetting off on short city breaks.
What the new fares offer:
|Seat type||Standard||Standard||Extra legroom|
|Free seat selection at any time||Assigned at check
|Meals and drinks|
|Checked luggage||1 x 23kg||1 x 23kg|
|Priority check in and boarding|
|Blanket pillow and headphones|
|In seat USB power|
|WiFi||At a charge||At a charge||At a charge|
|Changes and cancellations||No refunds or
|Refer to fare rules||Refer to fare rules|
|Service combinations||Must be same service
|Combine with other
services / cabins
|Combine with other
services / cabins
|Upgrade with miles|
|Upgrade with money|
|Seat width||Up to 17″||Up to 17″||Up to 17″|
|Media screen size||Up to 9″||Up to 9″||Up to 9″|
“We’re unveiling the biggest change to our economy cabin in over a decade – launching three new ways to fly, and a host of innovations on the ground and in the air as part of a wider £300 million investment in our customers,” said our CEO Craig Kreeger. “We know that one size doesn’t fit all, and our customers can now afford to be choosy and still travel in the UK’s leading economy cabin.”
“We always want flying with Virgin Atlantic to be more special than other airlines, and we’ll never compromise on excellent service, industry-leading food and drink and cutting-edge inflight entertainment – regardless of which economy ticket our customers are travelling on, they’ll be able to enjoy all this onboard.”
Our founder Sir Richard Branson said: “When I started Virgin Atlantic I wanted to challenge the status quo and make flying amazing – regardless of which cabin you’re in – and that’s still true today. We’re unveiling a multi-million pound investment to make Virgin Atlantic’s economy cabin the best of any UK airline and setting the bar for others to follow.”
The three new ways to travel are part of a wider investment in our economy cabin – delivering innovations on the ground, and in the air:
- Investing in additional economy delight seats: At a time when most airlines are packing seats onto planes, we’re investing in extra leg room. We’re retrofitting our fleet to provide up to 36 economy delight seats on every flight – offering customers an even comfier journey with spacious 34 inch legroom.
- Serving up the best economy meals in the sky: All customers travelling in economy will continue to enjoy a three course meal plus complimentary drinks and snacks –with a focus on supporting independent suppliers such as UK based Fairfield Farm Crisps, and the Grown Up Chocolate Company.
- More personalised service at the airport: For the first time we’re introducing automated bag drop at London airports, freeing up employees to provide a more personalised service where customers need it most. Four kiosks will open at London Gatwick this summer, followed by a further 18 kiosks at London Heathrow from winter 2018.
- Keeping our customers connected: Every single seat in economy now offers a personal USB charging point, and every route offers access to high speed Wi-Fi to help customers work and play on the go.
- New aircraft: 12 new Airbus A350-1000 aircraft will join the fleet from spring 2019 – offering unrivalled levels of comfort and reliability for customers, and a brand new economy cabin designed with our customers in mind.
- Virgin scent: We’ve partnered with leading British candle maker Rachel Vosper to create a new scent called “Air”. Designed to evoke wellbeing and inspire future travel it will be available across check in, the gate and upon boarding the aircraft.
Virgin Atlantic and Delta offer the leading transatlantic partnership, and the new economy products will offer a seamless experience for customers travelling with the airlines. economy delight, economy classic and economy light will complement Delta’s Comfort +, Main Cabin and Basic Economy products – always offering a three course meal, Wi-Fi, hundreds of hours of inflight entertainment and excellent service regardless of the ticket type.